Asialink acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the land where we live, learn and work. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.
We recognise the unique place of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders cultures in Australia, home to the oldest continuous cultures on earth. Including leaders from all backgrounds is part of our remit to develop Asia capabilities for all of Australia. We appreciate that Indigenous cultures can provide an important bridge and strengthen connections between Australia and the Indo-Pacific region.
With over 25 years of history, the Asialink Leaders Program is the flagship program for developing Asia capability in Australia. It offers a transformational experience for emerging and established leaders. The program equips participants with the insights, capabilities and connections to navigate complex foreign policy, business, cultural, political, ethical and regulatory environments in Asia and to build a stronger shared future for our region.
In 2020, Asialink established the Asialink Leaders First Nations Fellowship to:
- Strengthen the Asia-capability in First Nations leaders
- Ensure insights and perspectives of Indigenous leaders are reflected in our understanding of national identity and engagement with Asia
- Provide the opportunity to enhance connections between Indigenous cultures in Australia and cultures in Asia
- Recognise the strong historical and cultural connections between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia and cultures in the Indo-Pacific
- The fellowship will be awarded to an outstanding applicant with abilities and ambitions related to Asia engagement. Indigenous people from all sectors are eligible.
Asialink provides one First Nations fellowship available in 2022, covering the full Program fee of $10,750, but excluding travel and accommodation related to program attendance.