Malcolm Fraser: Australia - US Relations in the Asian Century
MELBOURNE, 25 September 2012 – Former Prime Minister of Australia The Right Honorable Malcolm Fraser AC CH has questioned the nature of Australia’s relationship with the United States in a broad-ranging speech to an audience of over 400.
Fraser describes US policy towards China as "containment" and praised the measured response from Beijing:
“China has refused to be provoked, and that is not surprising because they are well aware that this is an election year in the United States. We need to be aware that China can be profoundly measured in international affairs.”
View Response and Q&A
Access full report
- Australia's economic growth
- M.S. Swaminathan on the 'evergreen revolution'
- Margaret Byrne: debunks myths of etiquette in Asia
- The 1st Australian International Student guide
- Kathe Kirby: Are Australian students Asia literate?
- Asialink talks to international students during O-week 2010
- White Paper to build Australia's role in Asia
- Highlights of Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's National Forum address
- Senator Penny Wong on Australia in the Asian Century